Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
1/3 cup lard
1 pound (454 g) pork loin, cut into ½-inch (1.25-cm) pieces
10 strips bacon (about 10-ounce / 284-g), cut into ½-inch (1.25-cm) pieces
¾ cup sliced shallots
3 medium turnips (about 12½-ounce / 354-g), cubed
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
¼ cup dry white wine
1¾ cups chicken bone broth
4 sprigs fresh thyme
2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
½ cup unsweetened coconut milk
1 tablespoon dried tarragon leaves
- Take a large saucepan and place it over medium heat.
- Add lard to the saucepan and allow it to melt.
- Add pork pieces to the melted lard and sauté for 8 minutes until golden brown.
- Add bacon pieces and sliced shallots and sauté for 5 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add turnips, mustard, wine, bone broth, and thyme sprigs to the soup.
- Mix these ingredients gently and cover this soup with a lid.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook this soup
for 1 hour.
- Remove and discard the soup’s thyme sprigs then add gelatin, vinegar, coconut
milk, and tarragon.
- Increase the heat to medium and bring the soup to a boil. Cover to cook for 10
- Divide the cooked soup into 6 serving bowls and serve warm.
Total carbs: 9.7g